Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Homage to the Pittsburgh Steelers

Dear Steelers Fans,

How I love thee in your Black and Gold; waving your yellow towels and your yellow flags - taking over the parking lots of Invesco Field in preparation for the Monday Night Football game of the season. Bronco's vs. Steelers in Denver, Monday, November 9, 2009.

I have to admit, I did not know anything about the rivalry between the Steelers and our Bronco's. I know nothing about the history of the Pittsburgh team. I only know our Bronco's have rocked this season and I had big expectations for our Monday night football game at home.

Tailgating has become part of our fan-appreciation- preparation for these home games.

Standing in parking lots, grilling steaks, munching guacamole and chips, drinking beers and showing our team spirit by playing cornhole, and the such, while screaming about our favorite teams.

I had been told how loyal the Steelers fans are, but I got to see it myself, as I stood amongst a handful of Bronco supporters as the Steeler Nation took over the west parking lots of Invesco field.

It didn't deter my support of the Bronco's as I waited patiently for the game to start. I thought "what a bunch of loud mouths", it's going to suck when their team loses and they have to go home wearing those ridiculous costumes - waving their paltry little yellow towels. Then I noticed a fan in the true Orange and Blue whose bright orange shirt read, "Only bitches carry little yellow towels". And I laughed.

Then the game began, and I watched Denver open it up with a 3 point field goal, and we were off to the races. I was pleased and certain that all the hype about this Pittsburgh mania would be unwarranted and we could go back to praising our Bronco's in peace after all the hoopla.

The Steeler fans were en mass, every where I looked, black and gold, yellow towels....ergh the silly yellow towels, waving waving waving.

The more the Steelers carried the ball, caught the ball, ran the ball...scoring and winning... the insipid yellow towels waved their support. The Steelers were strong. The Steelers brought an amazing game of football to Denver's stadium. The Bronco's were defeated and embarrassed by a humbling Monday Night football loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

As a result of this loss I am writing this piece on how great the Steelers are and what a talented team Pittsburgh has...

Much respect,

1 comment:

  1. America's team - that's a good way to say what I was thinking - beer drinking, Joe next door - Palin's people LOL jk
    I have been told to refer to them as the "Steeler Nation"

    ReplyDelete