Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Rome

I planned my entire annual birthday month getaway around the international marathon of Rome.
Imagine that.

Every year I plan a solo vacation - a couple weeks alone, to rejuvenate. To find myself. A month where I decide what the next year holds for me. I evaluate my goals. I reconnect with myself. I travel and allow other cultures and insights to deeply influence how I live my  own life. A self reminder of what is good and what could use work in my own life. I set new goals and appreciate successes. I forgive missteps. I relearn how to love myself and this weird, confusing world we live in.

This year, I had a hard time deciding which cities would be on my travel itinerary. Luckily, Runners World magazine helped me decide. I am always looking for fun, new places to run and see new things, simultaneously. Rome is designated the "most scenic marathon in the world". This is where the center of my planning began.
Rome. I also knew Copenhagen had been on my list for years, but I had not been able to work it in, so I thought, this is easy; fly to Rome, run a race, and make my way by train to Denmark.
So many things happened which changed the outcome of this trip, but I did make it.
So many people told me, If you go to Italy you have to go t o Florence, so I added this to my itinerary (see previous blog post).
My trip became complete.
Tuscany - lovely like Bali's trip last year.
Rome - wondrous like Paris, many years prior.


Then Copenhagen - the fresh new start I have needed. For a long time.

Rome youtube

Rome is like most overpopulated urban cities. It has the best of everything, yet the overstimulated vibe of many cities we love and despise. With the marathon going on, many things were closed for security purposes and because of the traffic detours.
Even with the harried crowds, I still got to walk through the Colosseum grounds, see the Parthenon, and witness history. It felt safe to walk around surrounded by my people. Other runners and travelers who had come together for the same sense of belonging and adventure, meeting in one place to connect.
Even amongst the chaos of energy and people, I found streams, and peace, and small bands playing randomly on the streets energizing the passersby. My favorite things to find when I travel are small unexpected music bursts and hidden art. And, of course, the delightful food. Food, glorious food! Rome had it all.
Iconic Rome; one singular moment in the midst of it all


No comments:

Post a Comment