Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Complexity and Contradiction

It's an idea that architecture should get away from what is simple, boring, "form follows function" way of modernism and instead create designs that integrate various elements of architectural styles, design, thought, in creative, sometimes playful ways that are both "complex" in their blending and "contradict" in the way they come together as we know it. It's really about shaking up what is conventional and creating almost a hybrid in design that comes together and works at a unique and unconventional level while still being artistic and recognizable.(LRJ)
Shaking up what's conventional - this, I understand.
Getting away from simple, boring - this I know well.
Unique and unconventional - this I am.
The concept of complexity and contradiction is innately appealing to me. We are, as human beings, complex. Where does the contradiction lie? We are so surprised by our own actions and the results of our actions and behaviors, even though if you look at our makeup, we are destined to be the most complex creatures - mind and body.
The contradiction, in fact, lies in the fact that we are so unaware of how complex we are.
We joke about women being complex creatures. We bear children. Our hormones and emotions tend to run our actions. We can love even when there is nothing or no reasoning behind it. We can nurse other's childrens. Yet, we can fight wars and manage the world.
I look at myself and I see my history, and sometimes I laugh.
I don't know why and I don't know how, but I know as complex as I am, the contradiction of self is far greater than anything I could possibly describe or understand.
Sometimes everything you believe in is questioned by one action. One moment that changes your entire outlook. Everything you believe in life changes. Or, is it just another step on a path we don't understand?
I think everything is determined in terms of black and white - it is or it isn't. I tend not to have grey areas. I believe that you choose. No matter what...you choose and you stand by your choice. I have been in a grey area recently, which has questioned my entire spectrum of belief. Today, I chose. Left the grey area - black and white. It truly is that simple. So, is the complexity that we are so in awe of really a figment of our imagination? Is the complexity actually a pure simplicity that we choose not to acknowledge?

No comments:

Post a Comment