Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Days Off with Writers Block

What do I busy myself with on the days I want to be writing? I have the time, but can't generate ideas. Well, I can generate concepts, but can't compose the structure it takes to make a full story. It's so frustrating.
I find myself walking around the house looking for things to do.
I've done the laundry.
I've cleaned the kitchen, well as clean as I am willing to make the effort for - ask my mom. The sink is empty. Even the blender is clean. My blueberry, starfruit smoothie is gone.
I've cooked food for the week to take on my trip. I've Facebooked and Tweeted. I've looked at the new picture on my dresser for about 25 minutes too long. Now I'm bored.
Where is this going, you ask?
On demand cable TV.
I love catching up on my favorite shows, but it's off season so there is nothing on TV I have not seen already - fact. I don't have the attention span for a movie, so I look for 25-45 minute TV shows.
I check MTV, VH1, Bravo and CBS - my favorite goto channels on demand. Nothing new.
Somehow I find a show about Paris Hilton on the Oxygen network. Not a BFF show. Not a weird game/ reality show, but a reality life show highlighting her friends, and her mom, and her day to day in and outs of being a celebrity. Not super interesting in general, but everyone likes a little "peek into the life of".
So, here we are.
The first thing I notice in "The World According to Paris", is one of the "characters" is labeled as "friend/ photographer". Paris Hilton has a full-time photographer following her around all day long shooting her life. Could you imagine? It then occurred to me, what if someone was sitting on the edge of my bed right now taking my picture. Shooting me type and drink my iced coffee...in my underwear. Following me on my run. Going to the hair salon with me. Watching me put my makeup on. Hanging back on the plane. Really? Why does anyone need a constant moment capturer...just in case? Just in case what?

The second thing I notice is this obnoxious pink Bentley that Paris Hilton drives around and I think, WTF? Really? Then it occurs to me, no one else in the world has a pink Bentley. No one can steal it. It is great PR. Is it crazy or is it genius? I can't decide. Branding. Genius.
Then Kathy Hilton (Paris' mom) makes a comment, "I'm so embarrassed to be seen in this car, I'll just hide in the back". She's no Kris Jenner, that's for sure. Real mom's keep you in check.
No matter what you are up to in life, your mom will bring you back to reality.

(photo courtesy zimbio.com)



Now, I can get back to roaming around my house in my underwear looking for something to write about. Seriously.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure why you think you know what is going on in my life, but my career path has not changed, I have been in the same industry for 2 years, and I am not in a new relationship.
    Due to unforeseen censorships, my "alter ego" blog is taking the place of this blog. But the transition is slow as I have a full life.

    Thanks for your concern.

    ReplyDelete