Saturday, August 20, 2011

High School all over again

I have always thought I would never go back to high school. What a horrible four years. I was not popular. I did not excel in anything. I was average across the board. My friends made fun of me. My mom made fun of me. I was awkward and uncomfortable. People say, this is the same memory for most kids. I beg to differ. I watch my daughter, my niece, my nephew, all their friends breeze through high school. They are popular, smart, excel not only in sports but in their social scene as well. High school, like a teen movie, appear to be the best days of their lives.
Smart, saavy, driven, exceptional young people surround me and I'm so proud and realize what a difference self confidence makes. What a difference parents, who are involved and push, make on a struggling teenager. What a difference trust and development make on a mind. What a difference activities make on the ego.

Looking at who I am now, if I could go back, knowing what I know - not to change the course of action, nor to wreak havoc on history, but simply to live life as a fan of high school, I would do it in a second.
If I had the opportunity to excel at sports, at least give it my all.
If I had the opportunity to make friends, the same friends I have now, 25 years later.
If I had the opportunity to tell someone I liked them and maybe date someone that I really had a super crush on.
If I had the opportunity to stand up for myself.
If I had the opportunity to let people get to know me, maybe run for office, maybe go to a dance, maybe take off the shy cloak for one year.
If I had the opportunity to do it all again, 4 years, full steam ahead, I would take that opportunity.
I would take those 4 years and make them something memorable, not forgettable.
I can't even imagine the future college will hold for these same kids.
And life.
And love.

No comments:

Post a Comment