Saturday, October 15, 2011

Bats...

I recently visited Austin Tx, one of the cutest little towns I have ever seen. If I was going to be from Texas, I'd only want to be from Austin. It is like the cool little sister to all the other Texas cities.
University/ intellectual/ energy...good looking/ fit people...live music everywhere...great beer...what else could you ask for?

Oh, an interesting point of attraction...a bridge with 1.5 million bats living underneath.
Yes, bats.
Bats that come out every evening at sunset to seek food.
People boat, bike, walk, ride to this area to watch the droves of bats as they exit under the bridge and fly out to hunt. The people above the bridge are just a small number of the specatators this attraction collects.
just outside the action
The cruise ships that carry passengers are filled with eager bat-watchers.

There are also kayak tours and bike tours.
Restaurants in the area seat diners so they can view the activity from the comfort of a patio with adult beverages...I like.


This was my perch (note: I got eaten alive by mosquitos or chiggers or something totally disgusting and my legs are covered in bites...still):

I failed to mention I ran from my hotel to get to this location which turned out to be the perfect place to observe the tourists and the bat migration into the Austin community.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved Austin (I told you so!) and that you caught the flight of the bats too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. frickin awesome...not to mention all the eye candy running around (literally) lol

    ReplyDelete