Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sports and relationships

And I do not mean, hate the game.
I love football. I grew up on football. I wanted to be a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader when I was a little cheerleader of life. I think it was more exciting for me to cheer on the Cowboys, whom my father hated, than to actually be a cheerleader, but this is how it all begins, n'est ce pas?

I watched an HBO Sports documentary on Steve Gleason - the game that changed his life, his bout with ALS and the revival of the Saints. It is an emotional documentary. It touches on passion for life. A game Americans relate to and are conjoined by, and a relationship one man has with the game and his city. Passion is not defined by one man's concept, but by any man's engagement with his perception of that concept.
Steve Gleason is a hero. He has that passion. He loves his city. He loved the game.

The irony of his life and his relationship with the Saints, is the scandal that ensued most recently. Bounties and payments made and taken for physically damaging other players from other teams. The Saints were made a target, as if they were the only team to ever bounty up another player ina  professional sport. But men like Gleason and many, many others who suffered the final blow and damage of these boounties now pay the ultimate price.
 Unable to speak, and with few mobilities left, these men speak on the power of the game - the power of the blow, every blow with ultimately led to their demise. Gleason clearly states, it is not the words of the head coaches that cause damage to other players, it is the impact itself. The head to body, head to head and head to ground contact with immobilizes these hero's we love to watch over beer and nachos on Sunday.

Like Gladiators, these men get into the ring and fight for a paycheck, fight for their families and fight for their fans. As if they are changing the world. Some get killed against the lion.
I have a son who wants to fight the lion.
Now my fan status has a different outlook.
Do I think Steve Gleason's mom appreciates the game as much as all her son's fans? How about his wife, or their infant son?

What some give up to be a hero is not winning the game. It is the fight that happens after the games are over and life is on the line. For the future of other players. For their families.
Not for the game.

1 comment:

  1. Great read. Note...my mom also dislikes the Dallas Cowboys with a passion. Of course, I am not a football fan, though I grew up surrounded by it since my mom is a huge fan, so I only vaguely understand this post *teehee* but I do understand the heart of it. I'm a Rugby and MMA girl myself. I do know that there have been stories of bounties being paid up in various sports. It's really terrible because it should never be that serious. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete