Friday, October 5, 2012

Embarking on a new journey

Yesterday, on my flight from LaGuardia to Denver, I met quite a few international passengers. It's interesting what airports attract international passengers even when there are numerous options in the area. This is a prime example. LaGuardia attracts hundreds of thousands of international customers, whereas Newark...nto so much.
I met a group from Argentina, who were all going to a wedding together. Beautiful accents and seemed pleasant and easy going. A couple different groups from France. Same thing, easy dispositions and just happy to be going across our country.

I thought about my next trip. Tomorrow, I depart for Puerto Rico. I have never been, and even though owned by the U.S., still a new cultural experience and one I have looked forward to. I do not speak Spanish and although the dollar is used as is English, I want to acclimate to the culture and get to know the beauty of the island.
I think about all the people who come here who do not speak English at all and how difficult that is. I think about my travels abroad, and how I tried to learn new languages and figure out the customs simply to show respect.
I am going in knowing nothing and it's kind of exciting. It is who I have come to be. Just existing. Being in the moment. Living for the sake of living.

I do not know what I will find, but the itinerary is sparse, filled only so far with hotel arrangements, car and beach concepts, and the knowledge that I will be in good company.


Then a quick weekend in Miami to top off the R&R portion of the vacation - dancing in my own country. Free and loved.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful! I hope you experiences some Asopao (like stew) while in Puerto Rico. I used to love it as a child. Yea, it is amazing where internationals choose to port but, I believe, NY is the most diverse area of internationals so many who have come share the word. I know even my adoptive father who is Jamaican refers all of his international people to LaGuardia. I should ask him what that is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, we ate everything. The best - hands down- was the ceviche at Ceviche House in San Juan. No english, just amazing food. Sooo damn good!
    I think LaGUardia attracts people because it is cheaper than JFK and alot of tourists don't realize how close/ convenient Newark is. I like flying in - I hate flying out. But, Man it's a good slice, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete