Friday, November 30, 2012

Basic accountibility

I go on tangents about accountability and manners, and issues I see as those that distinguish between adults and children. Maturity comes with it responsibility.
Almost two years ago, I got into a fender bender in the parking lot of my daughter's high school. I waited for almost a half an hour for the owner of the vehicle, then I put a note on the car with my contact information, letting the owner of the dinged vehicle that I hit it, and wanted to be responsible for the damage.
When the owner called, he said, he was shocked, not only that I idnetified my self, but moreso, that I simply wanted to apologize.
I apologized to him for the inconvenience, for hitting his car and for the damage I did. I then claimed financial responsibility and he was thankful.
This past week, I had another vehicular incident, where the other driver was responsible, the police confirmed this in their report, and not once did she simply apologize.
I am sorry I ventured into oncoming traffic. I am sorry I caused a traffic collision. I am sorry about your car. I am sorry.  
Not only did she not apologize, but when retelling her version of the story, her response was, "yes, I could not see her coming in the oncoming traffic but once in the center of the street, she was coming fast". She actually tried to toss blame at me instead of taking responsibility for the fact that she thought she could beat traffic.
Also, after contacting her insurance company I have been given the runaround, told to be patient, again with no acknowledgement or apologies for my inconvenience, my vehicle or my life which has been inconvenienced immensely. Not only my life, but the life of my family. How about the work I missed due to this accident? Nothing.
Instances like this, although a reminder of where my value system lies, is also a shock as to how inconsiderate and selfish most people who are wandering the universe constantly feeling entitled yet, with no regard to the lives they affect.
We as a nation, and a world, in effect have stopped teaching our youth how to be responsible and take accountability for the results of their actions. We have grown into a culture of advantage-takers. Irreverent, entitled leeches with no moral compass, content with letting others take the fall, and pick up the tab.
Everybody's trying to get over.
...awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment