Tuesday, September 26, 2017

New Orleans, Revisited

I have been to New Orleans so many times now, this almost seems like a cheat blog.
How many times can I talk about how amazing the local culture is - or how great the food is? But every time I visit there, I find something new. Mo' better art, mo' better shopping, music and surprise! Mo' better food.
I have even found the best tattoo shop I have experienced in a decade.
Nola, You are my heart.
This quick trip sent me into the quarter for a tattoo I had been thinking about for almost a year. The guys over at Big Easy Tattoo & Company are true professionals. Amazing artists and fast. My biggest fear (four tattoos later) is the duration of the pain. How long is this going to hurt? These guys know what they are doing and get it done. Out of all the ink I have had placed on my body - this is the second time I thought,"is it over...already?" YES!! I couldn't believe it. Well done! Art and consideration for your pain. Perfect combination. Clean studio. Easy directions for (after)care. It could not have been an easier experience.
My friend getting ink by Dominic @ Big Easy Tattoo
So easy, that my friend and I carried on with our day as if nothing had even happened. We quickly forgot about the six hours and three flights we worked that day. The quick hour of beautiful pain and art we experienced transcended us further into the quarter to shop and eat. We walked all the way from Canal Street to Frenchman Street passing numerous shops and boutiques along the way. Generally speaking, I am not a big shopper, but in New Orleans, how can you not wander into the unique and fun shops that line the streets of the famous French Quarter. We looked for masks and tutu's and found adult stores and costume parlors. Amazing stores lined every street that we chose. No exceptions. We found our way into La Bella Vida, which I must admit, may be my new favorite boutique in the country. Not only was the owner a gracious hostess, she was the most honest retailer I have come across in a decade. She chose sizes, styles and colors for us. She was a true hostess in her element. She explained why her sale was off the charts, and encouraged us to return again for new selections when she could get her fall merchandise on the floor. She is amazing and beautiful and trustworthy. I felt immediate loyalty. Customer service is an understatement. She loves her store, and she loves her customers. These are the small businesses we need to be supporting 100%.

Then there is the food. Oh! the food. I am not a chain girl. You will not catch me at Chili's or TGIFriday's EVER. I don't like generic menus. I don't like mass produced food. I don't like average. The end.
That said, we were pushed towards a Praline Connection on Frenchman St, and I flinched. I was aware of the chain I had seen in the airport, and at least one other location on the street during my many visits. I did not want to eat here BUT by the time we got around to eating, my friend and I were so hungry, we would have eaten just about anything. So, we rolled in and BOOM Fantastic! I couldn't believe it. The service, the hospitality, the food was too good. I wanted to taste everything, and everything was delicious. Soft shelled crab, fried oysters, fish, shrimp, corn bread, hot damn! Collard greens, mac and cheese - the sides are mouth watering delicious. Just go! Get in there. Git you some!

Seafood platter at the Praline Connection, Frenchman Street
Visit New Orleans. Enjoy the art, music and food. Embrace the streets and the people. Laissez les bon temps rouler!

No comments:

Post a Comment