Monday, October 23, 2017

Japan in one week...what would you do?

This trip to Japan came up unexpectedly for me. My husband scheduled a business trip and I was fortunate enough to have an open week on my calendar. This never happens! The stars aligned, so we found some United airline points and packed my bag.

Traditional and modern restaurants
Since Japan had not found priority on my bucket list - there had been no planning. Yes! I wanted to roam the streets of Tokyo at night, and Yes! I wanted to get to the top of Mt Fuji. But, what did I know about Japan? Sushi..Kimonos..Karaoke??

Turns out, I was a total moron when it came to Asia. So, I sat down and made a list. What was most important for me to see to get a well rounded experience AND what could I double down for my "50 before 50" list which is still in full effect?


Original street signs

All this went out the window when I arrived and found a quiet, respectful culture I knew little about. This trip quickly turned into a learning experience I will never forget. My Japanese adventure became an opportunity for me to pull together all the elements of the book I am currently working on, as well as many moments of reflection. I was able to reconcile a lot of the elements that are confusing for me as I fumble through my mid-life crisis.






In a land where little English is spoken, it was hard. Let's start there. I consider myself a savvy traveler (pun intended). I find it easy to maneuver maps, streets, bus and rail systems. It is quite a rush to get where you need to go in a foreign city without losing your day to getting lost. In Japan, the metro system is in Japanese. It is difficult to find maps that are bi-lingual, and some stations do not have them at all. That makes it difficult to get around without asking for help. You must engage with the people. That is the best part of the travel experience, and helps you get past your fears and insecurities.

There is an interesting collaboration, in Japan, of traditional and modern; architecture, people, food, even the train terminals. Some with multi- lingual signage, menus and/ or maps, some with Japanese only.


Peace Lantern


I spent one morning in a garden that was so peaceful. There were water features and turtles every where. An older gentleman approached me and asked where I was from. I tend to forget that I am unique looking, not only to my own nationals, but especially to people abroad. He watched me for my entire stay in the garden. He watched me take photos. He watched me admire the turtles. He followed me around the park with his eyes, I am certain, wondering how this curious brown girl ended up in his neighborhood...in his country. This is what sparked my curiosity of self even further. Why was I here? What am I searching so desperately for?

I visited Tokyo, Otsuki and spent most of my time in Yokohama where my hotel was located. It was easy(in theory) to get around by train and even though it took more time than I like to spend in transit, it was inexpensive and allowed me to people watch and try to communicate.
Downtown Yokohama


Japan is so very unique. Very clean. The things I noticed seem very simple, but so important in comparing our lifestyle here in the states. People do not litter. If they can not find a trash can, they take their trash with them. You also do not see people walking about the streets eating, likely one reason the trash factor isn't so dire. People leave their bikes unlocked on the street, because stealing is simply unacceptable. There are "women only" cars on the train between 5a-9a. It is an admirable gesture for rush hour when there is stuffing of people on every car and people can't help but be in your personal space.
Still respectful.
I did not see drunken tomfoolery like we witness here. I also saw not one obese person. Not one. We do everything in abundance here, and I do not believe that is a good thing. We over spend. We over eat. We waste like it's our J O B. We live with no regard for our planet, our future, or even our own health. The Japanese culture is so respectful, of each other and the space they take up. I felt truly honored to be allowed in their country and presence for even one week. I still have so much to learn in this short life, but felt I was able to connect the dots a bit on this trip.

There were a few things that stood out as different. The Japanese yen was everywhere. Recently in places like Copenhagen, I saw people moving towards a consistent electronic means of payment, even at the metro stations. I expected that in Japan as well, but money/ currency is power...still, and has value in many places. Giving a child a coin. Placing yen in a vending machine. The value of actual money itself, not the concept that has been propagated by societies that rely on moving, shaking, trading an imaginary value for something that doesn't really even exist.
Yokohama Chinatown
There were ups and downs. I left with no souvenirs, since I waited until the last day and at Nissan stadium(on a game day), the opening of the stadium shop was delayed an hour, we were unable to get inside. That's what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

I visited Chinatown in Yokohama looking for something very specific for my mom. I did not find it but I did notice the very American logos on clothing and hats...and it made me sad. Every where we go, commercial America has its hand. And, hey! Don't get me wrong capitalism is great, but what I witnessed and felt in a country who values its people over money was life.

No comments:

Post a Comment