Sunday, August 24, 2008

DNC Denver 2008, sights, sounds and symptoms

Denver has been lucky enough to have the presence of the Democratic National Convention grace our fair city this summer. In an election year abuzz with media pressure, anxiety amidst a war, and at the very least, hope; here we are politicians - show us what you got.


Being from Missouri originally, I'm still a firm believer in "You've got to show me".


The city is bursting with energy. New faces are all over the downtown area. Judging our city. Taking in the beauty of Colorado; some for the very first time. Everyone with their badges proclaiming them great enough to walk the streets - our streets, for a cause. Do us proud Dems!

As I parked downtown, I looked up to see the solemn face of Barack Obama, Democratic Presidential candidate. Graced with the mountains of Colorado as his backdrop, a vision of hope for our state as well as for the country in the upcoming 4 years. Then as I walked along the streets of downtown, I saw his face everywhere, in storefronts, on T-shirts, on doggie sweaters, everywhere. I thought, people are really looking towards the convention as well as something new.


Barack Obama represents change in this country for many reasons, and seeing his face 10 stories high facing the Denver community speaks volumes. The DNC has opened it's minds, and hearts to the hope that Senator Obama has brought to the table this presidential election year. We welcome Obama, and we welcome the Convention to our city.

As with any major event in any major city, with the good also comes the negative. The protestors, the police with billie clubs, the raging lunatics; everyone comes out to be a part of the energy that brings people together. I must say I am rarely shocked, and some of the sights that I witnessed downtown were just plain shocking, and I realize that this is the point - to parlay their propoganda into a base, shock value to jar people out of their reality.
I have opted not to show the photos of the truly shocking because I am a firm believer that the media choosing to sensationalize tragic events is what pushes them to the forefront of society and actually allows them to gain momentum. I will say that the pro Life vs Pro Choice argument is a strong one and no matter where I stand personally, I would never step outside of my moral convictions as a Christian to try and manipulate people to stand on my side of the fence. I truly hope these good Christian, Pro-lifers who think it is morally correct to show pictures of bloody fetuses on the side of a 16 wheeler are prepared to stand in the light of the Lord on judgment day. My children, and the children of most of the city who happened to be downtown and were subjected to this horrific photographic display were terrified.
And it didn't change my viewpoint, only made me realize how sick these people are and pray for them.

I am an advocate for having a stance. Stand for something or STFU, is my mantra, so believe it - I have value for peaceful protestors who believe in what they stand for enough to get out there and share it with the world. This guy didn't try to shove propaganda in my face. He didn't try to scare my children, nor did he vilify my city with his viewpoint. I am proud to have him here as part of the DNC standing for something. Peacefully. Welcome Sir!











No comments:

Post a Comment