Monday, September 15, 2008

Obsession with Athletic wear

Today I was forced to go to Sports Authority. This is the mecca of sporting goods stores. First of all, I will tell you, I'm lazy and I hate to drive, so the fact that I have to go 15 miles out of my way to buy anything speaks for itself. Apparently this is the only Sports Authority location which has a "team sports" office. So, for my daughter's soccer team (because they have moved up to a competitive level this year), I had to make the trek to get new jerseys.
Not thrilled, but I went.
I got there and Lo and Behold: running shoes and sportswear and snowboards and outdoor furniture and MyGod I thought I had died and gone to sportsworld heaven. I want to start a birthday registry so I can put everything I love on this list. From now on friends, don't ask - just go to Sports authority and you will see "me", in the running section, in the Puma womens wear section, in the ski/ board tuning area. J.C. they had rackets, underarmour and balls, all kinds of balls!
They had a pair of Saucony running shoes I had only read about. They were beautiful...like running fashionista requirements. But alas, they were $140 - what? stop the press, here's where my cheap ass gets sad. I go through 2 pairs of running shoes every 6 months running 20-30 miles per week, which I undertand is considered "light running", but I can tell when I get shin splints it's time to refresh. So, spending $140 a pop, x 2, every few months just isn't happening.
I like Happy Hour just a wee bit more.
So I went with the $80 New Balance ABZORB 800, which was on clearance for $39.99
Woooooo. Back in the game!
And let me just tell you, I couldn't wait to get to Wash Park and try them out. A trail runner's shoe which feels like a sock. It's light and has an almost cleated sole. They are brilliant, and I love them. I'm still wearing them in fact.
So thumbs up for the New Balance shoe and thumbs up for Sports Authority in general - which is too far for me to enjoy on a regular basis, but "I feel you SA, I feel you".
Oh, yeah - the store is massive, you could lost in here for hours, really - but the parking is ample (that's what they build in Highlands Ranch- parking lots), and the store personnel was fantastic! The young man I thought was 16 who wanted to help me with running shoes I ass-u-me'd was a novice, and I (gulp) admit, he was extremely well versed in running, cross country, trail, women's shoes, problem areas, the difference between air and cushion - I mean it was ridiculous how much this kid knew, and I ended up asking him a thousand questions before I realized I needed to get out of this store before I bought stock.
I will tell you honestly the only issue I have with this store - it wasn't just the location, it was the Gi-normous snowboard section, and where were the skis? Where, my friends, were the damn skiis? Because then I would have been in real trouble. And if they do have skiis and I just didn't see them, well there's my (sole)issue. Perhaps it was the Sniagrab event just last week?

No comments:

Post a Comment