Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hiking 14R's...Mommy style



So, I have been dying to do a 14R since I moved here, but really just hadn't gotten around to it. Then my girlfriends suggested a seminar at REI to learn the do's and dont's - then we decided to just plan it and go. Well, per usual, my childcare situation didn't quite work out and I realized I can't keep waiting. I'll just take the little one with me. The instructor of the seminar mentioned he had taken his children on many 14R's so I thought, my kid can do this. If it takes all day, we can do this.


Yeah.


Oh, and it did take all day...kicking and screaming...Oh my head!


I chose Gray's Peak because it was the shortest of the nearest 14,000 + foot mountians in the area. So, 7 miles round trip could be a reasonable hike for anyone.

And... if it worked out I could scoot over to Torrey's to hit an additional 700 feet and capture 2 14R's in one day.

That is not how it worked out.

It was a challenging day. My son's little body did not have the energy nor the mental capacity for this long hike. Apparently, he didn't have enough water either. The headache he got on the way down was textbook for dehydration at altitude and truly ruined the entire day.

But, what could I do?

I carried him.

I hoisted him on my back with my backpack on his back, and carried his little body down the hill to the car. I'm still sore.

Lesson learned for everyone.

14R's are for grown folk.

No comments:

Post a Comment