Thursday, December 31, 2009

The two point conversion

This has been a huge argument amongst my friends for the past season of football.

I am an advocate, a fan, the only spokesperson left... of the 2-pt conversion, to say the least. Most of my friends believe "the extra point" is always the way to go, as the 2-pt conversion will almost never be successful.

My argument:
1. What is the point of playing the game if you are going to be safe ?
2. If teams consistently practiced scoring with a 2-pt conversion like they practice kicking the extra point perhaps it would be more successful more consistently.
3. Go big or Go home.

My friends argument:
The chances of scoring on a 2-pt conversion is slim to none - the extra point is a given.
This is all.

Mind you, all my friends believe this which questions the guts vs glory feeling deep in my stomach which I hold for some of my friends. How can you patsy out and just take the point b/c it's a given?
Who doesn't go for the gold?
Were we raised to just take a giveaway and not fight for something bigger?
What happened to the passion of the game?

Last night - Idaho vs. BGSU - Roady's Humanitarian Bowl
http://www.bgsufalcons.com/news/2009/12/30/FB_1230091322.aspx?path=football

All I have to say is kudos to a coach who will go down in history not only for winning a great bowl game with a 2-pt conversion but for teaching his team players that "Life does not give you any free points...if you want to win...YOU TAKE THEM."

Bravo Idaho Head Coach Robb Akey - That's how you play the game!!
http://www.2news.tv/news/local/80419527.html

2 comments:

  1. I see what your saying, but I like it - if I was a coach I'd do it all the time, you could expect that after every TD I would try to get 2 more. Every time. Fat plays Fat asses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sherri, no guts, no glory!! The game has gotten so petal soft these days with the whole "play it safe" bu!!sh!t. If you're going to make it fun to watch, I say get nuts.

    ReplyDelete