Friday, January 1, 2010

Amateur Night 2009

"We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day." ~ Edith Lovejoy Pierce

New Year's Eve has been my favorite night of the year for as long as I can remember. Even as a small child I remember thinking how exciting it would be when the ball fell in Times Square. How glamorous it was in New York, before I even understood what the city meant to the world.

The symbol of the ball falling meant a new year - a new start - a new opportunity.

Then as I became a teenager and young adult, New Years meant partying like a big dog.

Then I understood the concept of amateur night. Every fool comes out of the woodwork to party as if they have never been out of their cave before. "The light, the light...it's blinding". I have never seen so much stumbling and public vomiting.

Well, maybe St Paddies Day, but for some reason in the spring, under the guise of cultural enrichment or celebration, it's excused.

There is a fantasy that comes along with the New Years eve celebration. The kiss at midnight. The hope of new success and hopes for the new year. Promise...

So much expectation.

I have had some of the best NYE's of my life, and some of the worst, but I still love this night as much as a birthday. It is a concept of anticipation for something good and fresh.


Happy New Year Friends, Family and Fools! It is 2010 and you have your entire life ahead of you. Good, bad and indifferent - take a deep breath and cherish this moment.


This moment, even when captured in the frame of film, may be forgotten, but try and remember the feeling that came along with it.


"I made no resolutions for the New Year. The habit of making plans, of criticizing, sanctioning and molding my life, is too much of a daily event for me." ~Anaïs Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment