Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mommy Angst

I know I have a blessed life.
I am lucky enough to be able to provide for my kids and then some.
I juggle like a professional and know that my talents lie in resourcefulness and adaptability. I notice my children are quickly acclimating and utilizing these talents as well.
The past few weeks I have been struggling with the strong personality of my kids. My daughter tries to negotiate everything and is quite argumentative (I think she'd make a fine lawyer). My son has a stubborn streak, quite like myself and has decided that he should be able to do whatever he wishes, despite the rules. It has been quite a roller-coaster few weeks.
Mix in changing hormones and external's who can't keep their word, and I find myself in a very interesting mood.
Personally, I am also trying to change career positions and get my financial security back to "secure", not topsy-turvy, hanging-on-by-a-thread.
I realize my success as a parent is what keeps my children from realizing how I struggled, but that being said, the weight is heavy. I don't need acknowledgment for what I have accomplished, or am accomplishing, but I would like a natural graciousness from my kids which says, "I appreciate what we have".
Thanks for the trips. Thanks for the ski lessons. Thanks for the clothing I WANT TO WEAR. Thanks for the playdates, and sleepovers, the sports and the extras we don't seem to notice. Just Thank you Mommy, not, "why can't I", "why can't we", "when", "where", "how"... next.

It's exhausting and overwhelming, and as much as I realize I have not raised brats, some days it feels like it - to me.
I have other parents tell me all the time, how they love having my kids over, how well mannered they are, how they love to have them over anytime, and I know I am raising good people. But, what makes well raised kids treat everyone else so well, and the one's that give them everything so poorly?

4 comments:

  1. Its the battle of Today and Tomorrow.

    Kids live in today, Parents are acutely aware of tomorrow so are decision in regards to them are based off of tomorrows. Which the majority of time affects a Kids today.

    At this point Kids then are made at us because we affected their today, while they don't realize that we have got them to tomorrow and many tomorrows after that.

    So when it comes to gratitude from my kids I know it will come, just not today but it will someday maybe tomorrow.

    Love

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Sherri, the time will come, oh 10 or 15 years from now, when all will be clear.

    Your kids love you, and are very comfortable with you. That is why they reserve their best behavior for you.

    I don't have the privilege of being a full time dad, and I try my best not to be the Disney Dad when we are together. However, I nearly always get their best behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't count the amount of times I had the same lament. I agree with Douglas; at some point they will realize the sacrifices. Just wouldn't hurt if it were sooner rather than later, right?

    I get it.

    ReplyDelete