Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What comes around goes around

Summer before last I got a parking ticket. I ran into the Denver Performing Arts Center for five minutes to pick up my child from a Saturday class and when I ran back to the car a meter maid was doling out a parking ticket. I was so frustrated I snatched the ticket from the officer's hand and cursed at her while my children overheard.
Later, I was embarrassed at myself for displaying such an ugly side of myself in front of my children. I spoke to them on appropriate behavior and I apologized to them for my actions that day. It was a very humbling experience for me.
This past week I was renewing my airport parking pass at the Denver County parking office at DIA. As I swiped my badge the service agent/ cashier asked if I worked downtown. She said I looked familiar and was trying to place my face. I responded, maybe. I have worked quite a few places in the past 15 years. She then said, I gave you a parking ticket. My stomach sank. I did not recognize her, but she recognized me. I had been awful to her and here she was smiling at me through a plexi-glass window, tickled that I was one of the batshit crazy people that made her decide to change careers.
I apologized to her, sincerely.
I told her how that day was a day of awareness for me, and that I truly thought about my actions afterwards. She laughed and I was embarrassed again.
As much as I couldn't apologize enough, she was over it.
I was glad I had this opportunity to look at my imperfections and see others are as forgiving as myself (or as forgiving as I'd like to be) and life is just a wacky bowl of cherries somehow all connected by the stems.

1 comment:

  1. A lot of times it's not about being forgiven, but about asking for forgiveness. Walking away after humbling yourself and paying respect to another is a wonderful feeling we can all build upon. And should.

    Although agreed --- being a meter maid must be a shite of a job.

    ReplyDelete