Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Beauty of Dublin

Dublin, not the dream-scape I had in mind when thinking of all the fantasies of Ireland... and Tuscany, and locations Hollywood have turned into romantic escapades for American women. The city was similar to many American cities with a large tourist factor. Vegas, New Orleans, D.C.; tons of tourists roaming the city completely engaged with the concept, not necessarily the city itself.
There was great food, I will start there. Lots of international fare as well as traditional favorites.
I had Guinness steak pie as well as Brasilian and Indian fare. The restaurants were outstanding and I felt very lucky and happy to be eating my way through Ireland.
The day I arrived, I sat and ate at a tourist trap in Temple Bar and watched hen party after hen party march through the city - into a den of debauchery no doubt. I was a bit jealous. Friends, Saturday night, partying like it's 1999 - that's all right up my alley. But, I was sitting in a restaurant mapping my mature path to independence, deciding how I would bring in my 44th birthday in a foreign country.

Howth: I found my lighthouse. I have an affinity for lighthouses and when I stepped off the DART and walked into the small fishing village and saw the lighthouse off in the distance I knew I had made the right choice by venturing out of the city of Dublin and off the beaten path.

The Ireland pictorial:

No comments:

Post a Comment