Tuesday, May 8, 2012

London

Well, it was the best of times it was the worst of times. Dickens could not have been more correct.
London is a fantastic city, rich with history and architecture. Very much like NYC, the people make or break any experience.
I truly enjoyed my interactions with the automated aspects of London. The same conveniences in all the major cities here in the states. The tube, the commuter train stations, and the grocery offered the ease of getting what I needed without the assistance of the typical personnel. I did need help at one of the stations - the one day I got lost, and the gentleman(employee) was most helpful. That was not the norm.
I was refused service at a bar by a hateful woman.
I was offered the most surly service at a club, by yet another negative Nelly.
Even the retail markets acted opposed to selling goods.

That said, I met the most wonderful family, extended friends of a friend from the States. They invited me to their home for a traditional English meal and it was the sole interaction I had with any UK residents. The hotel personnel at the EasyHotel, South Kensington, were simply delightful as well. These were the exceptions in my London experience.

I did tour and experience the London of my expectations (including the incessant rain), but strictly solo. No assistance, no bonding with the people, no smiles on most days. The highlights of most days were bumping into other tourists who were just as excited as I was to be in the city, with or without the support of the locals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment