Monday, July 23, 2012

Bucket lists

I have never had a bucket list per se. I pretty much just live my life day to day doing the most and the best each day has to offer. I don't pass up opportunities. I try to capture every moment like it may be the last. Not my last, but the the last chance to do it.
On some level, I still have the youthful outlook of invincibility. I suppose that is what keeps me young in spirit. I am smarter, more careful, but I make choices based on the knowledge of future chance and the concept that things don't just come along at will. I appreciate each moment that comes my way.
My job has afforded me the destination accessibility for many ventures lately. But, my desire to seek them out has been the catalyst for the many cool activities I have seen and done lately.
I have aggressively pursued my adventures. Blessed to have the ability to get to certain places I would not have traveled to on my own. Blessed to be healthy enough to follow though with my pursuits.
Everyone, on some level has tasks, adventures, things that they want to do. Whether it is travel to a new city, see a sports team play, buy a certain vehicle, everyone has a "thing".
I turned 40 a few years ago, and prior to this birthday I had a list as long as my arm. I wanted to publish a book. Done. I wanted to run a marathon. Done. I wanted to live abroad. Done. I wanted to write an everyday cookbook for busy moms. Almost done. Point being - there was always something at the forefront.
Lately, since I've ventured into my 40's, I've slacked off. Nothing at the forefront. No pending desires that are taking over my time and money as I prepare, just really trying to enjoy each day.
Yes, I want to travel more. Yes, I have goals for my kids. Yes, I want to get better at golf. But, nothing seems as important as living in the moment. Enjoying every sunrise, every kiss, every dinner, every glass of wine, every run, every moment with my child, every  chance to connect with another human being. The important things have changed and I didn't even realize it.
It's almost like I changed my perspective on my reception of life and how I attack it to breathing in each moment and letting it embrace me, for a minute.
These 12 people, whether they had a bucket list or not, will never get to fulfill their desires in this lifetime, and I breathe in slowly as I connect with life itself, blessed to be here one more day, with my kid, in my home, in my life.
Live it! It's short... and un-promised.

2 comments:

  1. Well said. I'm still working on getting to the place you have been gifted enough to reach. I do have various things that I want to do but, if I don't accomplish those things, I will have no regrets. As long as I find a greater and greater joy in each day, and cease opportunities, my life will be just as fulfilled. We have to live to the best of our ability since we never know when our time is up here. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading!
    I had a wise old friend ask me one day, "what is the meaning of life"? I waited for this nugget of genius that may change my life, and he simply said, "To evolve".
    And sometimes something so simple can be so complex.
    I am certain you are doing awesome.
    Thinking is the beginning, the middle and the end.
    I appreciate your compliments :))

    ReplyDelete