Monday, March 2, 2009

Long lost friends and death threats in tropical paradise

Facebook is quite the retriever of lost memories.
I had an old friend from college (that I have literally not seen or heard from since graduation)contact me today via facebook. I was almost afraid to answer. I mean 20 years has gone by.
We were not bff's then, but he was a great guy. I remember that quite well.
A boyfriend of a good girlfriend - this was a funny guy that I remember tossing us a lot of laughs during college. Plus he had tons of single male friends. I remember this as well.
We actually went on vacation together.
How do you not stay connected to people you go on vacation with? This wasn't like - 20 of us went to Cancun for spring break. A small group of 5 of us went to Jamaica, and our lives were threatened, after we crashed the rental car the 1st day we drove it (on the opposite side of the road), and the rental agency did not like the fact we had it repaired ourselves. We were told straight up - you will pay additional money or they will never find your bodies. Nice.
Welcome to Jamaica (this was my last visit).
And this after we were placed in shithole shanty, which looked like a dog fighting ring, inside a chicken coop(and it wasn't cheap). I had to argue for our money back when we arrived and realized we were being jacked. I mean this was a memorable vacation.
We finally got a great house with a gardner and maid (which is what we paid for). Poolside for 7 days; we drank and laughed and slept under fans in a tropical heat. "Cock - a - doodle - doo" at sunrise. It was great.
This one memory from a guy I haven't seen in 20 years who found me on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment