Monday, March 23, 2009

Skatepark Culture


I have been at the Denver skatepark all week. My son has decided he is going to be a Pro skateboarder, so we must go practice. One of my biggest fears was the influence the older kids who take over the park after lunch time would have on the younger kids. The language is foul at times. Their clothes hang down, showing their underwear. The redbull and Monster drink cans litter the edges of the park (which I am sure are making these kids more stupid by the second). All these things which don't scream "role model" to me influence my child's experience.

Funny enough - the more time I spend there, the more I notice the overwhelming culture of hierarchy. The older kids look out for the younger one's. There is a constant observance of "right of way", and "turn taking". The older kids are very aware of the younger one's and take care of their personal space. They offer advice and speak to them with care and concern. It is rare to see aggressive or boorish behavior intimidating the smaller kids who are trying to keep up with their older mentors.

This area is highly un-monitored by adult supervision. There are a few parents with small children, but hundreds of unsupervised teens on a daily basis and truly a potential seedy-teen area. But, it's not. I haven't checked out the park at night, so I'm sure the element is a bit different, and I have seen kids smoking and cursing during the day. Overall the vibe is skate - practice, show off your talent - Be you!
It is a distinct and self monitoring culture of kids who all enjoy the same activities and have respect for each other and their area.

No comments:

Post a Comment