Monday, April 13, 2009

chocolate vs caramel


With Easter recently passing us by and all the talk of candy and chocolate eggs, as much as I don't want to negate the holiday, which has somehow forgotten all about Christ rising, but is now more about bunnies romping, I may now freely admit, I was a bit disgusted. I'm not a fan of the chocolate. I'm not really a "sweets-eater" in general. I love to bake goods for my family and for friends. I just don't like to eat them. It's kind of like breakfast - I love to make pancakes and hashbrowns - even omelettes or heuvos, but when it comes to eating in the morning, bacon is about the only thing I can stomach.

On the other hand, caramel. Mmmm, so good and so decadent. The consistency is amazing, the color and the smell is wonderful. The taste is simply divine. The only other dessert type items I will ingest, more than likely have a caramel ingredient. ie Samoa ice cream - who came up with this idea? The best girl scout cookie ever, whipped into a creamy frozen batter of deliciousness. Maybe the easter bunny will bring me Girl Scout cookie ice cream next year. The exception to this rule would be the delicate, sumptuous mixture found in tiramisu which I will fall for every time.

How can someone "not" like chocolate you wonder, but as crazy as it sounds - it's just not me. When I read ads for bunnies that stand 30" tall and weigh in at over 6 lbs of chocolate, I wonder who the hell eats 6 lbs of chocolate? If my kids ate 6 lbs of chocolate, it would be a recipe for disaster. The dental repurcusions on their own make me cringe.
But alas, we have made it through one more year of chocolate mania, and somehow survived the wrath of commercial product placement..or at least I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment