Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Teen angst

I pick up my teenage daughter from the bus stop every day after school. Each week the boys get a little fresher as their mouths are embracing springtime, either that or they've lost their minds.
Today, as I pull away, one of the boys says, "Hi future mother-in-law", and I roll down my window to respond, "I'm sure your parents don't appreciate the dope smoking, so bring it down a level boys". To this my daughter and her cute little friend whispered and giggled for a second before they became horrified at what I had done.
It has been brought to my attention that I frightened the young men. It was only funny on their side. My humor is, in fact, not funny at all.
I am mean.
To this I responded, "I'm not mean, I'm funny...just like them. They can't take a joke? Why is my comment mean, when their's was deemed humorous?" I was confused for a moment.
Then I was informed I had embarrassed my daughter, and probably her friend.
"Why did I have to say anything at all - they were just joking". Well, so was I. My jokes aren't funny?

I thought some more, then realized what a wonderful move I had made.
Teen boys need to be afraid...very afraid. Don't bring your game this way.

And I thought I was being funny.

1 comment:

  1. Teenage boys don't get to see mom's that throw down the hammer. They probably thought they could take advantage of you. And you brought it. I'm glad. Boys do need to be put in their place. Especially at their age. Kids are growing up way too fast these days. Good for you. If you can raise one of your eyebrows and give them a good stare (which I know you've got down already) then you'll have it made.

    ReplyDelete