Thursday, April 16, 2009

Why Can't We Be Friends?

A really great song from my youth. I remember it like I remember being at my grandmother's house on Saturdays in the smmertime. I would climb trees to sit on the roof and just chill and eat apples directly from the tree. I watched everyone below as they came in and out of the house. I sat alone because I could and I liked it. I liked the solitude, even when I was 8 years old.

Now 32 years later I listen to a new upbeat version of the same song with the same lyrics and the same meaning and I enjoy the same solitude tonight and contemplate "why can't we be friends".

I don't get the lyrics. I'm not sure they have any meaning at all. "I remember when you drank my wine - you had to join the CIA - they wouldn't take you in the mafia..." What the hell does this mean? Is this guy talking to someone he grew up with that is some crazy loser that collects welfare checks and tells tall tales of being a spy? I mean, does anyone know what the hell this song is about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dYpnd_9TFs

I have friends that I have known from a long time back. They drank my wine. They slept with my boyfriend. They gossiped about me. And we simply aren't friends any longer. There is no question "why". YOU know why.
Maybe this is the type of relationship these guys are singing about. Or perhaps this guy has a hero complex. I still don't know, but damn, I love this song. The original was amazing and this particular cover is one of my favorite covers of all time. Thank you smashmouth.

1 comment:

  1. You will love this website. I spent hours one day just doing the 'random' songs. Here is your answer: http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=7610

    ReplyDelete