Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cats in Strollers

Everyday that passes, especially working at an international airport, I believe I have finally seen it all.
Today, at the park, topped all visuals.
Winner of the 2010 Crazy shit of the year award.
I was on my usual run at the park.
I finished and got into my car when I noticed a gaggle of geese (ducks, whatever the dirty birds that do not fly, yet walk around the park honking and shitting everywhere) rushing towards the lake off the path. Naturally, I looked to see what was making them hurry out of the way.
What I saw was a woman getting out of her car. Next to the car was a stroller - parked, like most of the mommies at the park who bring the infants out for their morning run. She was not pulling a small child out of the car. She was holding on to a cat. A full grown, huge, maniacal cat, that was by all accounts desperately trying to get out of her arms to chase down the gaggle that was getting away.
This woman was whispering to the cat, then moved it towards the stroller. Yes, she was placing the cat into the stroller for a walk.
Have I lost my mind?
I have seen a cat on a leash.
I have seen a cat in a bike pull with a small child.
Who puts a cat in a baby stroller for a walk around the park?
And who married her crazy ass?
She is home during the day, with time to go on a walk, with her cat... in a frigging stroller.

Now, I realize I am not the pet lover everyone perhaps thinks I should be, but let me explain a couple things. Animals belong outside. We, as selfish slave owning humans, decided that we would domesticate animals and bring them into the house, feed them, bathe them, take them out of their natural habitat and own them. Fine, whatever. How cute. Let's put a sweater on it and put it in our purse.
When animals do get outside they are in heaven. Smelling the fresh air. Chasing a few ducks.
Like Darwin said, eat or be eaten.
When did we get so bored with our own lives that we decided it was ok to push around pets in strollers, not only forcing our culture on them, but preventing them from participating in their own culture?

So, I decide to look this up - see if "everyone is doing it", and I'll be damned...google "cat strollers". You won't believe it.

This woman apparently had the ultralight pet stroller, but her cat had to be at least 30 pounds, so I'm thinking she should have gone with the Jogger Pet Stroller, which looks a bit roomier.


Unbelievable.

1 comment:

  1. "And who married her crazy ass?" Great post!a

    ReplyDelete