Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remember...

Today marks the ninth anniversary of 9/11.
Today is my mother's birthday, *Happy Birthday Mama*.
Two weeks ago to the day, my son celebrated his 9th birthday.
Nine years ago today I watched in horror as terrorists took away our sense of security with a well planned attack against our country. With a new baby, I remember sobbing for 2 days thinking, "How could I have brought a child into such a horrible world."

Today, a new friend climbs stairs in honor (and respect) of the downed firefighters from 9/11; the men that sacrificed their lives everyday, but actually gave them for us on this day, nine years ago.

I work this afternoon at the airport. Silently, we all know what the impact of this tragic event nine years ago has had on the airline industry, but do we acknowledge the men and women who go to work in an airplane everyday to help restore America's faith in the industry?

I have been asked numerous times over the years how 9/11 affected my choice to become a flight attendant, and was that what prompted me to stop flying. Most people that know me know I did not become a flight attendant until after 9/11, and part of my choice was directly pinpointed at normal people doing normal things to do their part to keep this country (not only safe) but fearless. If women and men, no different than me (moms, students, housewives, writers) can stand up for our country, we all can.
I thought, if I can bring my smile to work everyday and make people feel better about flying... more safe... not afraid of what lurks... just enough to maybe do it one more time, I've done my part.

I would hope today every American takes at least one moment to think about 9/11, not just to remember the awful event that happened, but to recognize the impact of what each of us can do to stand strong in light of what happened. We all lost that day, but what can we gain today?

*no pictures...just memories today*

2 comments:

  1. My FB Status post this morning:

    Today is 9/11, a day of remembrance .....
    So in remembrance of the tragedy that we felt as a nation, I am going to dig a hole in my backyard and stare at it .. for a long time ... longer than a hole should be stared at without something being done to it .............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone was touched by this event - hopefully we change with the memories and make it valuable.

    ReplyDelete