Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Mirror of the future

I had the pleasure of sitting between two elderly women on a full flight from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas. During the course of the flight, I spoke briefly with both women before analyzing my encounter with each, and the value.
The woman in the window seat was sophisticated and glamorous. She wore a short haircut (Halle Berry style), silver and fabulous. Her clothing style was eclectic and polished. She came across as a retired actress or artist of some sort.
The woman in the aisle seat reminded moreso of a retired teacher or social worker. She carried a more classic, casual style of dress, and wore her hair curled but short in the back - more tailored for a boutique look.
I felt I was sandwiched between San Francisco and West Palm Beach, if that makes sense.
At some point during the one hour flight, it occurred to me that each of these women represented one portion of myself. I was being mirrored, in the future, on each side of my physical and inner personality.
One woman read an original short story which had been types and sent to her, while the other read a traditional novel on a Kindle. The same woman, in theory, but so very different.

My personal struggle for a sense of style, glamour, and fabulosity constantly challenges my desire to just be. The inner growth vs the social perception of who I am. My desire to learn and grow and not care how others perceive me and my internal need to achieve what I want to accomplish in this lifetime financially and socially as well.
We are all conflicted with what society deems successful and what the universe gifts us and is indeed innately successful. And how do we achieve and balance both?

Watching them.
Thinking about how I will age.
What will I take away from this lifetime, finally?

No comments:

Post a Comment