Monday, January 23, 2012

73 year old Players

Over the weekend I met a 73 year old woman on a plane. She was smiley and we started talking about where she was going and what she was up to. She told me how she was single and had been dating recently. I said, "Good for you". She seemed in great spirits. We discussed traveling and meeting people in general. I told her about my upcoming trip to London and Dublin and she told me about an upcoming cruise she was going on with a gentleman caller.
She told me about the different cruises she has been on, and told me I should try a singles cruise.
The thought of being stuck on a boat, in the middle of nowhere... with a bunch of dudes who would sign up for a singles cruise made me want to jump out the plane window. But, all I could focus on was, she was dating...this 73 year old woman was actively dating. Kicking it, actually.
It crossed my mind; where is this senior meeting single men?
Almost as if she had read my thoughts she said, "Have you tried the internet? I am on "plenty of fish" and it's fun. I have a couple of men I am dating on the side". On the side?
Grandma has a side piece?
Oh hell!
She went on to tell me how much fun she was having and what sites there were for long term relationships, or this new spiritual site she had just joined, but she enjoyed plenty of fish because it was more casual.
What I heard: "I can hook up easier".
I wish I had this kind of chutzpah.
Again, her sly grin and pep in her step made me think, age does not change behavior. The same people that are players in their 20's will be hooking up in the nursing home.
Grandma has a side piece.
Well I'll be damned.

No comments:

Post a Comment