Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Basic Manners

Sometimes we all need a reminder of basic manners.
Don't eat with your mouth full.
Don't poop with the door open.
Say please and thank you.
The basic manners that made human beings the "intelligent species".
With the constant evolution of technology and the ability to self engage instead of participate in society, I notice the increasing growth of bad manners.
People not only don't hold doors for each other anymore, but they actually let doors slam in other's faces because they are so busy texting and talking on cell phones that they don't see other people.

People sit at a dinner table and focus on their cellphone instead of their dinner company. I have been guilty of this myself, but I make it a point, especially if I have invited someone to dinner that I havent seen in a long time to put my phone away and focus on my guest. If your Facebook status update can't wait one hour, maybe you shouldn't make social plans or leave the house. I just read an article on Yahoo news about the Amish Project and how it positively affected the relationships around this particular user when he stopped all use of technology for 90 days.

People fire each other via email. Hey Guy/ Girl...if I have been working for you for more than 2 hours, be gracious enough to call me into your office and hand me my last check. It's called "respect".

Same thing with breaking plans. If you can't show up and an event is in our near future, a phone call is the minimum courtesy. Not a text. Pick up the phone, man-up and say, sorry I am blowing you off for something better tonight. No need to stand outside the theater waiting for my lame ass.

On a plane, if a crew member is speaking to you, make eye contact, respond, then go back to reading the smut on your kindle. This is the same bitch that might be telling you how to inflate a life vest as the plane sinks.

At the grocery store, address the cashiers, bakers and produce guys that ask you, "are you finding everything ok", they actually know where stuff is. They are human beings, don't walk past them like you didn't hear them. And that special needs guy that is pushing the same cart back into the store that you left in the middle of the parking lot - he has feelings too. Say hello.

When shoving past someone to grab something you want, say, "excuse me"...unless you're trying to get knocked the fuck out.  No need to push someone in a line. EVER.
Basic manners 101.
Please.
Thank you.
Excuse me.
Now, carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment