Sunday, February 5, 2012

Bad Drivers and Bad Skiers

I realized today as I was enjoying a cruise down the big hill at Copper mountain that bad skiers are very much like bad drivers.
Bad drivers go too fast.
Bad drivers make careless mistakes that become accidents.
Bad drivers think they are invincible and have no regard for the other drivers around them.
Bad drivers like to blame other drivers for their aggression.
Bad skiers are exactly the same.
It's always someone else's fault when they run into someone.
Their speed and lack of control causes accidents.
They are as annoying as bad drivers and thankfully don't have cars on the mountain or they'd have far more victims.
As I merged into a hill that had many levels of skiers and riders coasting along, I heard the sound of crunchy snow near me. As I looked over my shoulder I noticed another skier very close to me. Too close. So, I slowed and she glided, swooshed, if you will, right past me. Unnecessarily close. There was plenty of mountain for all of us this day.
I thought to myself, why was that necessary? She was an adept skier. She had control of herself and her equipment, but in her mind, it was cute too get as close as possible to other good skiers, almost in a showdog sense. Annoying, at best. I crossed over to watch her from behind as she kept down the middle as she approached smaller children and less agile skiers.
It occurred to me, had my music been a  bit louder, or I hadn't felt her approaching and just crossed to the left by 2 inches, we would have collided. 2 inches. It is so unsafe and just plain rude to come up behind someone that fast and cut that close to them, and I still wonder, why people act the way they do?
What excitement it provides? Why the assholes always outweigh the courteous.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still learning from you, but I'm trying to reach my goals. I definitely liked reading everything that is posted on your blog.Keep the posts coming. I loved it!
    Richmond Gear 6900591 410 Chrys 12Bolt 69-73

    ReplyDelete