Saturday, February 4, 2012

Travel and the ease of the Net

Traveling has become so easy nowadays I am surprised more people don't grab a  passport and go. I mean with sites like Travelocity and Yahoo Travel Guides, just to name a few, It's easy to get a package deal, if that's what you are into. Everything is click and go and it truly is that simple.

I prefer making my own itinerary, with my preferred destinations and different types of accommodations. I don't like staying in hotels in every city. I like B&B's. I love quaint apartments. I like the feel of the city without looking like a tourist everywhere I travel.

courtesy Europeworld.com
When I lived in Paris I had the opportunity to live in an apartment adjacent to the Seine. Waking up in the morning and taking a  run down the Seine to the original Statue of Liberty is probably something I could not have done had I chosen a hotel for my visit. But better than that, getting to know my neighbors, the shop keepers, the newsstand owners, the metro ticket cashiers...everyone that I came into contact with on a daily basis made my visit the unique experience that it was.

In preparation for London and Dublin this spring, I have found so many options in finding housing. I have looked at couchsurfing in one city, hotels, and apartments, and now I am coming across websites that offer even more choices. With websites and apps such as Yelp and Gowalla, I can pretty much land anywhere in the world and find something pleasing or interesting to do.
The options are endless and right at my fingertips.
Fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment