Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Simply doing the right thing

Yesterday, I had to commute to work. I do this weekly. I fly to Vegas to start a trip. I work 3 days or 5 days, then I fly home. Sometimes when flights are full, I can't get to work. This is a bummer when I plan specific trips for things that I want to do, ie plan a NYC overnight so I can tour the city or see a show, and I can't get to work, so my trip plans have to be cancelled. God forbid, I end up someplace like Little Rock, Arkansas, instead.
On the other hand, sometimes there is a crew member who wants to be released and is looking for someone to work the last leg in to their base. This opens up the opportunity for me to work my way into my base and make money on my commute. It is also a bonus for the crew member who wants to go home early.
Yesterday, this was the case. I got to work my way into Vegas and make extra money.
Once I got to base, I had a few hours to kill, so I jumped online and tried to trade and manage my trips for next month. As I sat in the crew lounge, the  phone rang in the office. Scheduling needed 3 crew members to go to the terminal and board a flight. Long story short, even though I was not on the clock, I agreed to go board this flight and help out. This would not only help other crew members who would be rushing to get to the new aircraft, but also help the company. Less delays, less fines.
I look at everything as how will this affect not only the company, but me as well. I have a vested interest in the profits of my company as it directly affects my profit sharing and retirement future.
Needless to say, they needed 3 people to help out, and believe it or not, people sitting in the area refused to go up, spend 20-30 minutes of their day to help out.
This is amazing to me.
The supervisor, who had to go help out, in lieu of a crew member (which is absolutely acceptable) thanked me for volunteering. It occurred to me, the only answer was yes, simply because it's the right thing to do.
The right thing to do has nothing with compensation, or acknowledgement. Knowing that I am living the best life and being the best me I can be is truly a great reward. I am healthy. I have a great family. I am free in America, and at least I have a job. We are all connected. I show up because I committed to show up, not just when someone gives my twenty five bucks to stand in the light of what I committed to.
Why can't we all just take care of each other because it is the right thing to do?
It occurred to me that I was lucky enough to earn extra money coming in to work, and my positioning made it possible for me to even be in the space to help out. But, I thought, every time I do the right thing, good things will happen for me. When you withhold goodness and favor for others, what can you possibly be accountable for in your life? You get what you give. You give negativity, you live in the shadows of your disdain for self.
Helping your neighbor is generating positivity in the universe. Be the light, not the shadow.

1 comment: