Monday, June 4, 2012

Loving Napa

I have been wanting to go to Napa Valley and visit the amazing wineries and taste all the supple wines for years. I can't remember what very first inspired my desire to visit. Possibly, my simple love for the vino. Yet, I had no idea what the beautiful countryside held in store for me.
Acres and acres of grapes, green fields and beautiful bursts of color here and there to distract the eye, as well as other creatures of the field.
As I drove around, I wanted to stop everywhere and photograph the beautiful countryside. Visually reminding me of all the European countries we have told stories about, on film, which represent love and bountifulness. The lush green picturesque land highlighted by the knowledge of velvet, smooth taste on our tongues, yet to come.
I stopped first at Domaine Chandon, simply because I wanted to begin with the sparkling wines and make my way to the richer, deeper tastes of all the reds to come. All the reds of the rainbow.
I had my heart set on Zinfandel after Zinfandel passing my lips and calming my heart.
I found the sparkling wines to be a treat. The dryness and the subtleties surprised me. Crisp and light, unexpected attraction to whites which I learned are simply reds without the skin of the grape.
I learned all about processing grapes, the how-to in making sparkling sparkle. I learned about bubbles and color and sweetness. I learned so much about sparkling wines, I drank them for 2 days straight with no guilt for passing on my quest for Zinfandel.
Mumm and Domaine quenched my thirst and my love of knowledge.
Pairings became inconsequential as sparkly goes with everything.
My only regret is that I didn't stay longer to discover more about each and every grape.
Next up...Sonoma!

No comments:

Post a Comment