Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ex's

As I busily prepare my kids for their visit to their father's house this weekend. I juggle all the normal things that consume my day, my week, my life. Work, soccer practice, the gym, cooking, cleaning (well half assed cleaning), car pooling kids, playdates, library time, homework, etc etc etc - You feel me. I'm a normal mom.

Well, this weekends visit is a little different because I have to pack them for a formal occassion. My ex-husband is getting remarried this weekend. Now, this is a great thing, and I'm happy for him, and his new, young wife. I'm actually looking forward to my kids having an extension of their family - more people to love right?
But, here's the thing: in the last week, not only do I have my own schedule to deal with, but I'm getting phone calls at 7a asking "Do you know our divorce date?". Phone calls in the afternoon, "Hey, can I ask a favor of you?" , and my favorite today, "I just have a quick question - What temperature do you cook quiche on?"
Not just little reminders of our failed marriage but reminders of my competency as a parent, a cook, an organizer, and a friend...just not a wife.

So, what do I say, "Hey asshole, I don't cook quiche for you anymore, not in your kitchen, not in a cookbook reference guide by phone...not at all".
Do I say, "Doesn't the 20 year old cook?" Oh that's right, Chris Rock said it best "New P*%!y can't cook".
Or do I simply say "400 degrees here in Colorado, but since you're at a lower elevation, you might want to make it 375" ?

Is this really my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment