Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Diversity


I was out this weekend with a group of friends I don't generally hang out with. This is right up my alley because I love going out. I love meeting new people and I love seeing what people are up to.
The woman that invited me out, I have known for quite a while, yet we have never gone out on the town together. I was introduced to all her friends and we had a blast.
The thing I noticed first about this group was how different everyone was and the 2nd thing was how beautiful everyone's energy was. The natural smiles, the easy laughter. I am constantly surprised by how many cool people I am still meeting on a regular basis. When you open yourself up to meeting great individuals, you do.

I have been immersing myself in activities to meet new people recently. Joining new events, signing up for all sorts of different groups and even taking some classes. I met a group of people online a few years ago. A group of people dedicated to going out on the town and eating and drinking at new places downtown. A good friend called this group my "potluck" meeting. You never knew who would be there or what you would get. It was interesting to me, but not super fun. I have found far better ways to meet people with similar interests and see what people are up to in life.

Yesterday was the official national celebration of Dr. King's birthday. A day of recognizing peace and sacrifice for equality. For me a celebration of diversity. A great reminder to keep on doing what I'm doing because people sacrifice life to allow interactions with (and of) all races, religions and creeds. A day to celebrate having a potluck.

No comments:

Post a Comment