Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ski vs. Sand

I have been researching for an entire year on a new vacation spot to spend my 40th birthday with my favorite people. After a year of intensive searching, which included possibilities of Nevis, Greece, and even Cabo (not new not fresh, but convenient to my brother who lives in LA), it has been determined that due to circumstances beyond everyones control - this trip will not happen.
My sister is graduating law school and taking the bar. My brother just bought his first home and is planning a wedding this summer. My S.O. has a daughter graduating high school simultaneously occurring the week we were to travel. So, after a year of planning for me, the end result is travel alone, or wait until the end of the summer instead of my birthday month.
In the meanwhile I am trying to put together a mini-vacation. I just need to get away If only for 3 days, or for a week, I want to go somewhere. I have severe cabin fever. Now, my issue is getaway to a beach, and hope for a romantic getaway, or drive up to a local ski resort and have a few days of clean air and the possibility of a romantic getaway.



I am a beach baby. I need sun for sure, but I don't want to spend the money for a funtastic time someplace I've been a million times before and waste money that could go towards my big trip at the end of the summer. I know I just want to get away, so it really doesn't matter where I go to clear my head and have some peace. The value of the sun is not being overlooked, and there is some pretty good sun to be had on the mountain.








I think I have more issue with the fact that it's my 40th birthday and it's a landmark for me. I'm kind of a birthday whore anyway, so the fact that I will turn 40 without a cough in the empty auditorium kind of bums me out. I certainly do not want a pity party for myself, but it would be nice to be acknowledged and have my friends and family excited to celebrate an important day to me - at the end of the day the sand is just dirt and the snow will melt without my family and friends to share it with.

2 comments:

  1. Get a group in Denver and swank it up with dinner and bottle service at your favorite bar/lounge. Maybe have a spa day and yoga before hand.

    I'm in the same boat. I wanted to go to Europe for my landmark Bday, but due to money and schedule it's more of a daydream. I may take a mini vacay to Mexico or Las Vegas. I don't gamble... I lay at the pool all day or go to the spa, shop, eat, and party at night :)

    For sand fun I'd go back to Pueblo bonita pacifica in Cabo for relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegas and Cabo, my two favorite local places LOL!

    ReplyDelete