Tuesday, January 22, 2008

speaking of diversity...

My live-in BF had a unique concept about the celebration of diversity and of MLK day on Monday. He thought that without people like Dr. King, we might not be together (as a couple). He has decided that MLK is responsible for us being free to date in this society - outside the shackles of racism. I think that concept varies from city to city as I still see stories daily of KKK rallies and incidents of hatred in cities like Jena. I think we are lucky to live in a fairly open city.

I made a point to him that if it were not for Dr. King and the freedoms that we have here in the states I probably wouldn't live here (and thus, we may have never met :). I would never tolerate the injustices that I see on a day to basis on the news. I would never continue to live in a city where I was called out of my name regularly. It would never occur to me that intolerance and hatred was a way of life. Even before I had traveled anywhere I had turned on a TV, I had read a newspaper, I knew right from wrong.
I realize that I am different. I have no issue packing up all my things and getting in my car and driving away. Away from ignorance, away from a bad job, away from a f'd-up relationship, away to my peace of mind. Freedom is expensive, but the most valuable treasure you can have; If you appreciate.
If you don't know any different, it may seem unattainable or overrated.
I can't imagine not being free to do what I want , when I want, with whom I want to do it with. I would never live in a place that didn't allow those freedoms, so it never occurred to me that a celebration was in order.
It is easy to take things for granted when you get a glimpse through someone else's eyes.

I have noticed in my travels that a lot of other countries, although burdened with religious wars and sexist practices, poverty and desperation; racism is not such a celebrated way of life as it is here in America. Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.
But, these are only things that I, personally, have noticed. We have the notion here that in France there is a commonly held stereotype that Americans are stupid and crass, and very disliked. My experience proved very different. I tried diligently to practice my French, and my best manners at all times, and I found Parisians helpful and excited to know what I was doing in their country. Extremely surprised that I was American, but very open and friendly to my visit to their beautiful country.
We have some great cities in our nation, but we have an overcast of gloom as well. I feel pretty lucky to live in a city if feel comfortable and safe in. A community not riddled with hatred, smacking of daily reminders of racism and inferiority. But, I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment