Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Landlords and Thieves

Usually my commentary revolves around current events, my kids, what's going on in my town, etc. Fun, light issues or hot topics so to speak. Today, I am venturing away from this because I have had the most horrific experience with an individual that I am at a loss for polite conversation.
History: I have been renting condos/ homes for about 20 years now. I am a conscientious person and very aware of other peoples property. I like doing artistic things in my home, even when I rent, and am very careful about re-painting and cleaning when it's time for me to check out. I have never had a security deposit withheld for any reason and have actually had landlords tell me the place looks better than when I first moved in.
Recently: My most recent rental, I did nothing to, no paint, no art, simply because I knew this was a transition space and I felt I would be moving at the end of the lease. So I maintained everything as close to move in as possible.
This home I rented had a few issues - clogged sinks, slow draining plumbing in every bath and kitchen, poorly maintained appliances, worn and torn flooring. The unit is at least 50 years old, and has not been renovated in the last 49 years. The vinyl on the laundry floor was literally peeling up from every crack. But, it was a cute duplex in a cute neighborhood. Can't complain - my kids were safe.
I was never given a check-in sheet when I moved in. I was charged a non-refundable pet deposit, above my standard rental deposit, which is totally normal. During the course of my stay in this home, the landlord decided she would try and sell the property, so I would need to move possibly earlier if she could seel. Times are hard, this seemed reasonable.
Then my neighbors began to tell me that she does this every year or so : gets rentors in then puts a for sale sign up. Red Flag #1. They had seen the price point for the unit and thought she needed some guidance due to the market and the quality of what she was trying to sell. Basically, asking top dollar for a dated, small unit with no extras (ie garage, W/D, etc).
A couple people stagger through to see what she's offering, and hmmm imagine this; the comments we hear are "no garage?", "a laundry in the master closet", "the flooring is dated".
Next red flag - she begins to call and send emails stating that the unit isn't tidy enough to be shown on a regular basis. That I, in fact, was the cause of her not being able to sell her over priced piece of shit during this "buyer's market". Open the window and smell the economy honey.
Anyone who has been to my house, knows it is tidy. The windows may not be cleaned from the outside, but my home is tidy.
A number of other wak-assed events happened, alerting me to her disillusionment with the real world, but I realized that moving was a blessing and just go with the flow.
So, I prepare to move into my new home and spend 2 weeks preparing the duplex for my check -out process, and looky looky she shows up with a 2 page check-out sheet. Where was this when we checked in I wonder, but fuck it - just follow the process and get your money back.

Note, house was not clean when I moved in. Huge dust bunnies under the heating units. Childrens toys in the yard and wedged between heating units. Broken window treatments. The storage closet on the main level was actually full of shit from the previous tenant and I carted all that shit to the goodwill and dump. No worries...cause you trust people will treat you fairly.

I clean, I weed, I paint, I have all my bills transferred. Mind you the unit is empty for a full month. Then she bills me a fake water bill, which she will show my no proof of. Then deducts a fee for half a month's electricity. Once again, the unit was empty - no water, no electricity. The amounts of the bills were 2 to 3 times the normal amounts of bills when I was actually living in the unit, and I compared the electric "fake bill" she gave me to my 1st electric bill at my new home and here are the results:
Duplex: 1700 sq ft, regular usage=$76 per month, no usage=$180 per her calculations (she charged me $90 for the 14 days I had it turned off prior to the end of my lease albeit I had moved out 30 days prior and thought 15 days was plenty of time to get any cleaning done that would require electricity- oh and the house has hard wood flooring throughout).
New home: 2400 sq ft, 1st bill with full usage including central A/C=$165 for full month
Hmmm
The water bill is far less exciting - she simply doubled what I normally paid and refused to show documentation.
At first, I was very upset and frustrated because if there is one thing in life I hate it's a common thief. I realize she has seen hard times, as have we all. But she had the audcity to send me a conjured up receipt that my 13 year old could have produced using Microsoft Word for the costs of new flooring for her stairwell (citing strange odor), therefore, I need to recarpet her 40 yr old carpeted stairwell - NOT clean professionally - REPLACE. Other items such as failing to remove cobwebs from the front porch, and various other bullshit was on this list as well.
If I had not spent so much time cleaning and painting and taking care with her home, this might be something easy to blow off, and I realize my anger and the desire to spraypaint her home and car with the words "SLAG CUNT" are a knee jerk reaction to being taken advantage of by the less integrious.
So, I will meditate and wait for karma to take effect.
I know people like this do shit like this because their miserable little lives are so inadequate and the only pleasure they get in life is taking advantage of others to make themselves feel a tiny bit better.
I hope the $1000 was worth it Kathy Whitrock/ Landlord & Thief.

2 comments:

  1. Sue her slimy ass?
    ~ S. Burks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karma, as you and I both know, is truly a BIATCH!!!
    she will get hers... trust in Karma...
    I LOVE YOU and MISS YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete