Friday, October 10, 2008

skateboards and no fear


Remember what it felt like to be 7?
To have no worries and no fear?
To jump off ramps on your bicycle and skate as fast as you could downhill, with no helmet or knee pads?




Remember life before responsibility?

Watching my son at the skatepark today reminded me of what life was like 30 years ago, when summertime never seemed to end. My bike was the only thing I had to worry about and I had a chain to keep it safe from thieves when I sat in the library for hours on end getting lost in Nancy Drew books.


The skatepark today has so many things nostalgic of youth. There were kids of all ages, young and young at heart. Now as I sat and watched my son enjoy his (yet to be) nostalgic days, I just pondered my responsibility. Even a small break in the day or the weekend still lends itself to contemplation of all things accountable for. Difficult to escape under any terms.



Kids of all ages, cultures, and skill levels skated around the park just being.


Today I wanted to get on a skateboard and just skate as fast as I could - catching air and not worrying about a broken bone or spraining a knee or my back. I wanted to drop in to the bowl and feel the wind against my face. Then I wanted to get on my bike and just ride. Ride all day like I used to when I was 10 years old. My only worry then was being home before dark.


I didn't think about how much insurance cost and if it would cover more than one trip to the hospital if I had already sprained my knee skiing this year.
I didn't think about other kids suing me if I accidentally kicked my board into their face and they required stitches.


I didn't think about anything except the freedom of my wheels.



1 comment:

  1. Well its fun living out ur childhood days once more and the worries of broken bones and fallin escapin ur mind.Lol hv hd that feelin watchin so many things.Loved ur post.Kp writin....

    ReplyDelete