Monday, February 9, 2009

Concept of Sexy

I had the privilege of shooting a project for my close friends today. When I originally accepted the offer, I didn't really think much of it. It was a favor for a friend. No questions asked as far as I was concerned. Later, I received more information about the project and thought "that's cool", but still didn't really wrap my head around it.
I didn't really "get" how awesome this project was until I saw the initial shots of myself after the afternoon of shooting was completed. 1 day of being the center of attention for 15 photographers.
Generally, that is not what a day of print work looks like for me. Usually there is one photographer and the client. They have a strict agenda and a series of shots which need to be attained for one specific ad campaign. The client dictates what shots are to be taken and the photographer does his/ her best to attain those shots. I try to listen to what they need and give "the look" they need. It's not difficult. In fact it's easy and fun.
This event today was so different because the photographers were in a learning environment and could creatively decide what the best way to produce their art form via all the elements they had available to them, including me. Also great about today is that I didn't have to determine what "look" to give. It was their creative synapses which initiated what I should do, how I should move and how to love the camera, so to speak. Creativity is always fun. I got to play.
My play time translated into beautiful shots interpreted by 15 different sets of eyes.
Which translated into so many great opportunites for a beautiful product.
I realized today what an amazing opportunity I stepped into. I would never think of myself deserving of such a great gift to myself. At age 40 I don't look in the mirror and think "you sexy thing you, go capture this age with some sexy Boudoir photos". I see myself as a mom, and a friend; as a writer and student of life. This was the sweetest moment to get to see myself through the many eyes of talented photographers who decided to make me look fabulous and real, in photos I will treasure as a moment of my life I almost overlooked because it swept by so fast.

The concept of sexy almost lost on Mom.

4 comments:

  1. I came across your blog by chance! What a small world. Thank you so much for letting us shoot you all day. You were great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw your blog off your MHP page.First of all, it was so wonderful to hear your take on such a crazy day! I'm so glad, that as a group, we were able to give you a collection of images to showcase this time of your life! But you should be so extremely proud of yourself! All those photographers and directions, and commentary and... it would be a lot to take on! We couldn't have asked for a more graceful, and beautiful subject! Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete