Sunday, February 22, 2009

Romantic comedy moment in time

I love romantic comedies...almost as much as I love thrillers. I think there is a direct correlation between the suspense in a romantic comedy and the tension buildup in an action thriller. Will the two lovers cross paths? Will the confusion and insecurities of the lovers turn into an actual relationship? Movies like Serendipity, 27 Dresses and The Wedding Date where everyone can see clearly the attraction between the main characters, but know there will be so much bumbling and chaos, that they may never end up together. In European versions, there is usually death and insanity over a happy ending. I prefer these endings because they are real, but American romance films capture my heart because I want to believe in hope.
This weekend I witnessed a moment so powerful it made me believe in the possibility of love out there for me.
While out on the town with my friends, after all the dancing was done and the entire nightclub emptyed out into the night, I saw a boy lean in and kiss a girl. It was so sweet and pure like fresh snow lightly falling on the grass. At the moment I believe everyone within a 25 foot radius to the couple began to get sucked into the kiss, it was abruptly interrupted by another girl. "What are you doing", she shouted. "Ruh roh", I thought. This must be his girlfriend. It wasn't. I didn't hear the entire conversation (because it really wasn't any of my business, but I couldn't help overhear portions). Apparently she was a friend of his and looking out for his best interest.
I walked with my friends into the parking lot, a little enamored by what I had seen. I turned and I watched the boy and the girl walk different directions. I saw the boy talking with his friends and pacing around their car. I saw the girl look back at him once and then regain pace with her friends. Then I noticed the most beautiful, amazing romantic comedy moment (which in my mind never happens in real life). The boy ran from his friends, and the car, ran across the parking lot towards the girl, who at this point had turned around and just stopped in her tracks.. And in true romantic film genre, he picked her up and kissed her hard. It was moving and almost unbelievable. Guys don't do this in real life. Do they? Not guys I know. It was precious and sweet and so passionate it got caught in my throat. I stood there caught up in their moment, and as in any romantic comedy, something really funny happened at the same time; with a girl...on the ice...in heels.
And the snow fell.

No comments:

Post a Comment