Thursday, February 19, 2009

Open Letter to CNN - HLN

After watching numerous comments on Headline News this morning regarding Attorney Generl Eric Holder's remarks regarding coward Americans on the topic of racism, I finally had to email my comments, as I feel "my voice" was not heard.
Email:
I positively agree with Atty General Holder's comments. American people have been forced to integrate with other races as a direct result of the laws imposed to ensure equality. Fear and hatred of change have been the sustenance of many Americans for hundreds of years. The reason Americans do not want to talk about the "hard topics" is because people hate to hear the truth. Ideally, we all want to give the impression of "good people" with "good intentions" but the reality is our country suffered hardships and injustices, and to move forward we must acknowledge this. No one wants to hear that. Holder's provacative comments inspire honest conversation amongst intelligent people.
End email

I heard everyone "for" the open conversation of race topics, but I also heard automatic defense mechanisms in their conversation. No one wants to get past the difficult issues to get through to each other. Bottom line: You cannot understand who I am if you don't understand my history. And just because you read something in a book doesn't mean it's mine. We all have history to share. We all have culture to share. We all have a story to tell. Why not try listening to each other for a minute?

Those who spoke against "opening the wound" of racism via the vehicle of free speech just confuses me. Who doesn't want the opportunity to know their neighbor better? To understand their own diverse American culture better? To possible rectify through understanding the miscommunication and stereotypes that have plagued this country for far too long?

No comments:

Post a Comment