Tuesday, September 8, 2009

One more reason people should be required to have a license to have kids

photo courtesy of peopleofwalmart.com
I run my local park every day. Today I noticed tons of strollers blocking up the paths. My fault, I ran later in the morning than usual - the demographic changed. It won't happen again.
Most of the parents pushing strollers have sleeping babies, completely unaware of their morning ritual to get them to nap while mommy or daddy works out. These kids have it made. Enjoying the last of summer, and don't even realize it.

As I approached a mom and grandmom, I noticed the mom was struggling as she carried a large child. Gramdma pushed an empty stroller while this cute, chubby kid gave mom a serious workout.
I stopped carrying my kids when they were about two years old. I am strong, but my kids were big and I am fairly thin. Damn kids are heavy. My ex chose to tote Saunders around even when he was 5 and 6. I discouraged it, for my own health really. When dad wasn't around, Saunders still thought he should be carried. Yeah, NO.
But, to each his own. I thought maybe the kid got tired...oh yeah, he has a stroller. Then I got close enough to pass, and realized 1) this kid was about 2/3rd's the size of mom, quite capable of walking on his own, even if he didn't want to ride in the stroller, and 2) this kid was carrying, and drinking, a diet Mountain Dew.

I'm not even going to get into the whole kids and soda conversation. I just have two words: caffeine and aspartame. Why not just give him a red bull while you're at it?

But, it occurred to me why kids act the way they do in today's society. I mean if my mom carried me around 'til I was 5 years old while I sipped on a mountain dew, why shouldn't you kiss my ass too?

No comments:

Post a Comment