Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Blindness and Relationship

We have all heard the phrase, “love is blind”, but today I really thought about what that means. Have you ever considered what it would be like to be blind? What attracts people to each other?
My daughter asked me what I like; what I am attracted to in men, and when I thought about it, I answered honestly, I don’t really have a type. I like tall. I like nice eyes – soft loving eyes, with nice eyelashes. I like funny. I like confidence.
Granted, when I think about the physical qualities I enjoy, I rely on looks, scent, touch.
What if I was blind and couldn’t rely on the sideways glances we give to one another?
What if I couldn’t see the smile that shows me love?

(photo courtesy gardenofgloomdeviantart.com)

What if I couldn’t look into the eyes that looked deeply into mine?
I thought about some of the weirdos that approach me and thought, if I couldn’t see what they looked like would I be more attracted to them? I doubt it. But, what does blind love truly look like?
Would I be happier if I couldn’t see everything that tears relationships apart?
What if I couldn’t see uncertainty?
If I couldn’t see disappointment on someone’s face.
What if I didn’t notice attraction to other women?
If I could not see the point of no return during an argument would I be “in love” differently? Would my relationships look different?
Are all the things we choose to overlook when in love because our heart is open and allows for this sentimental blindness any different than physical blindness?
Does blind love have attributes that will always be unknown, or does loving blindly have the same power, and I just haven’t had that “A-ha” moment yet?
What would love look like if I went through life as if I was blind...using my other senses to lead my heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment