Tuesday, April 27, 2010

No good deed goes unpunished

The questions that are posed throughout this article are jaw dropping in their irony:

Good Samaritan left to die in the street

"What's wrong with humanity?"

"I think people are just afraid to step in; they don't want to get involved; who knows what their reasons are?"

"Their reasons are", they don't want to get stabbed to death on the street. The story within the story is self explanatory - we have a "good Samaritan" who steps in to assist and finds himself bleeding to death on the street. "What's wrong with humanity?"
Great question.
Look around.
The homeless population is staggering.
No one wants to help anyone because of the repercussions.
We have homemakers/ neighbors being fined for helping their working neighbors with childcare.
Check out now if you don't want to hear the truth.
We are a country of selfish, money whores, who care more about our presence than our purpose. The few who do take a stand are isolated, labeled and threatened.
We don't take care of our elders, our impoverished, or our sick.
We are a generation of "me".
I will revert back to my mantra of the 90's "stand for something or shut the fuck up".
And I am guilty.
I walk past homeless people all the time, afraid, curious, saddened. I feel like I do my part, but I think about my kids, and my safety, and I walk on by. I would like to think that I would not walk past someone bleeding in the street. I know in my heart I wouldn't, but I have walked past many a drunk and felt nothing.
Yesterday, a homeless man approached me and immediately I tensed up. I have been accosted by homeless men before - felt up by a bum in the metro in Paris. So, my fears are not unwarranted, but I try to look at each individual as a new experience. As the man approached, he asked if I was Jesus, passing out water and apples today. I was emptying my car of groceries and held a gallon of milk in one hand and a bag of apples in the other. I responded, "Would you want an apple" and he joked with me before continuing on his way, with no apple, but a joke in his spirit.
A human being on the street.
20 seconds of contact.
No harm, no foul.
Tomorrow that man could be laying dead on the street trying to assist my neighbor.
It's not right.
What are we going to do about it?
What do you stand for?

No comments:

Post a Comment