Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Vegas and San Francisco

Of course this was the best day ever!
But I will tell you why this was different and sooo outstanding.
I generally have an agenda...an itinerary, and I like to stick to it. Having a plan is a great thing. The combination of coordinating efforts, making and keeping a time-line, and sticking to it, allows for the maximum output of production - In the case of vacations, the maximum amount of time to see and do things is tested.
If I only have 4 days -I want to squeeze in as much sightseeing as possible, as much drinking and eating, and as much cultural intake as possible, before I drop from exhaustion. This is a successful vacation for me.
Yesterday, I released the reigns. I do not have an agenda for this trip, nor do I plan on having one. I found myself saying (more than once), "so what's the plan". I realize there is a learning curve to this. Today, my goal will be to just look around and enjoy. Breathe.
Yesterday, I got on a plane. I lived in the moment. I enjoyed the flight. I got off the plane. I changed my itinerary so I could spend a few hours in Vegas, enjoying the day. It was 85 degrees in Vegas and I deserve a little sunshine on my birthday trip...so I took it.
I found myself in NYNY, happy to have pastrami for breakfast, because at 9a on the eve of your birthday, it seemed perfect. I then had a free craps lesson, which was also perfect because I have always wanted to learn how to play craps, and here I was, wandering around Vegas without an agenda and look what fell into my universe - just what I asked for.


Greeberg's Deli
Vinnie's Special which seemed appropriate because it was indeed special. Pastrami, roast beef, turkey with a slice of muenster. Topped of with the first beer of the day (yes 10a in Vegas), it was splendid!












After the craps lesson, which included a lesson in Vegas etiquette which everyone should be required to take, I made my way back to Nine Fine Irishmen, which is part of the reason I go to the NYNY. This is the best bar on the strip. There is prime beer on tap. Usually accompanied by live music is some form of clog dancing or at least an elderly woman in the front, getting her groove on - which can be highly entertaining for so many reasons.

In the afternoon, I found there is no music, no dancing, no cougars working it out on the dance floor...BUT, to my immense joy, I found out there is a patio which faces the strip and has 100% full access to the reason I got off the plane in the first place - sunshine! Yay for me, I found myself sitting on the patio of Nine Fine Irishmen between noon and 2, drinking Black Velvet's, people watching in Vegas and soaking in the magnificent sun. Life is indeed good.


I looked up in the morning and saw this billboard and I knew it was meant for me. Slow down. Enjoy life. "Toast Life" my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment