Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks

Today is Thanksgiving, 2011.
I could make a list of things I am thankful for today, this year, in life. Looking with clarity at my job, my lifestyle and the opportunity to make money and support my family. I am blessed that today, my children are safe, I am traveling, yet will get a wonderful spread of all the turkey day fixings(free of charge) from the hotel which is housing us today. Flight crews are treated very well, I must say. This evening, I will treat myself to a walking tour of a new city. This I gift to myself, via my awesome job, and again, I am thankful.

This blog is actually about the day itself and all those who are required to work because of their industry. I have the choice to work today. I choose to make double time pay. I choose to fly around instead of sitting at home. My kids spend this holiday with "Dad", so instead of bidding this day off, or giving it away, I choose to work. Everyone is not that lucky.
Please keep in mind this Thanksgiving, everyone in a service industry, or retail industry that is required to work today or tomorrow. This 4 day "weekend", which most take for granted is not a given for everyone.
Target Stores have taken a lot of heat for opening today instead of tomorrow. Black Friday now starts on Thanksgiving Day itself, and most of those workers do not want to work today. Cashiers, and stockers, and salespeople would rather be home with their families...just like you.
Let me also say, if this country ceased shopping on holidays, these people could have the day off as well, but like Target spokespeople have said, they have to be competitive in an industry (and a day and age) where if you aren't open, you are losing money.
Understood. People are broke. Businesses are failing, but we as a country need to stand up for each other? Why does anyone need to get out and shop after the turkey gorge fest to buy a TV? When did buying stuff become so f'ing important? Who are we?
That said, if you are out and about today for whatever reason, please consider those who had their day cut short with their families so they could serve you.
Please think about giving thanks to those who are serving you today. Even if they are ringing up your gas at the service station, or bagging your last minute groceries this morning, or helping you find that perfect bottle of wine at the liquor store - these people drew the short end of the stick.
If you are at a bar, please "holiday tip".
If a cab has to drive you home tonight, please "holiday tip".
If you eat out, please "holiday tip".
If you must go shopping, please thank those who are not fortunate enough to get a day off...one day where most of the country is home, watching football, playing with their kids, overeating, celebrating a tradition of America.

#thinkThanks

No comments:

Post a Comment