Thursday, November 10, 2011

Surprise! I am brown

Today I picked up a schoolmate of Saunders for a play-date.
Neutral spot.
I had spoken to the Dad on the phone prior to the pick-up. Saunders and John have been classmates for 3-4 years now.

As the dad approached, he cruised right past me and pointed at Saunders. "There he is", he stated. He then noticed there were no other parental figures around and turned back towards me, the woman he moved so quickly past 90 seconds prior. "Are you Sherri?"
"Yes," I answered, as I removed my sunglasses and stretched out my hand. His visible surprise made me laugh as I have seen this too many times.
How did this brown lady make this red-haired, blue eyed kid?
Genes are a funny thing.

I have had this happen many times. The 1st day of school is usually the most fun, because I am most prepared. I remember the 1st day of school for 2nd grade when the teacher asked me if I would be picking up Saunders everyday. Very tactfully, I explained, well, yes, we live directly across the street from the school. I realize that some people have no concept of how many flavors there are to bi-racial children.
Black Americans are some of the most diverse looking people on earth. We range on color and shade from the blondest of blonde, with blue and green eyes, to the darkest cherry with the most mahogany skin and hair. There is every spectrum of beauty in the Black culture because we are so mixed with every other culture in the world.
Someone asked me over the past weekend, if I wore contacts, and I was so offended, because I had not heard this question in twenty-five years. Then I dropped back a decade prior - back to the elementary school playground, "what are you?"
Then a friend confirmed, "I thought the same thing - perhaps you had green contacts." Wow, I assume ignorance from those milling around the country, but not from my own peers, people I have chosen to sit in my sphere.
I am not one to change my appearance with contacts, or hair dye, or silicone.
I am proud of how I look, no matter what; freckles and green eyes, yellow skin in the winter, small boobs when I am thin enough.
I am who I am.
I am a woman.

Today was a quick reminder that the world does not change around me.
I change and accept.
Even when I forget, I accept.
Even when I am surprised, I accept, because that is what my color brings me.
My children have no idea, because they are fair skinned, what it means to be Black in America. But, I carry this for them.

4 comments:

  1. What!!! You're Black?? How on earth did that happen!?!?! Lol..

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "cousin's" daughter is fair skinned but with black features. She was born with black hair but it changed blonde sometime when when was six months old. Just happened overnight. I am a witness because I was the only one who took pictures of her when they brought her home from the hospital. Her Mom is bi-racial. Her mother is light-skinned and black and her father white. She's a triplet. She looks identical to her sister and has a fraternal brother. This cousin's daughter has a sister who is also fair skinned with brown hair but not quite like her sister. They're different somewhat physically but more in personality. Can't wait to see how they grow up. They look like their parents but have some genetical mix that is just beyond any explanation off the bat.

    ReplyDelete